At Safe Meridian, we’re committed to safeguarding the privacy and personal data of our customers.
What is personal data?
“Personal Data” strictly speaking means any data about an individual (whether true or not) that if used together with other information that is likely to be freely available, who identify that individual.
How do we collect personal data?
We may collect personal data from:
- forms (such as application forms or claim forms) completed and submitted to us in relation to any product we manage or service we provide;
- communications between you and us in relation to any product we manage or service we provide, including face-to-face exchanges, letters, telephone calls, text messages (SMS, WhatsApp and similar), e-mails, and facsimiles;
- this website, any mobile application we might launch, or our social media sites;
- third parties, such as your employer, healthcare providers, insurance intermediaries, other insurance companies, claim investigators, witnesses, or other third parties involved in our dealings with you.
What personal data do we collect?
We may collect the following:
- General identification and contact information such as your name, residential and mailing address, telephone numbers, email address, date of birth, gender, marital status, occupation, nationality, educational background, and relationship to a policyholder;
- Identification documents or numbers issued by government bodies or agencies such as your national identity card number, passport number, birth certificate, employment pass or work permit, or driver’s license;
- Health status and medical history, including past, current, and future medical conditions, injuries, disabilities, personal habits such as smoking, medical treatment or tests results, recommended treatments, prescription information, and health status;
- Financial information and bank account details. including Bank account details, credit card details, assets, income, and other financial information; and
- Social media accounts and information such as your social media account ID and profile picture, and any information you provide us when using our websites and social media sites.
How do we use personal data?
We may use personal data to:
- provide you access to our websites;
- process your application for insurance;
- manage your relationship with us, your accounts, and your policies;
- process any claims you or your dependants send us;
- carry out due diligence or other screening activities in accordance with our legal obligations and risk management procedures;
- carry out your instructions or to respond to your enquiries;
- communicate with you in respect of your policies, where such communications as insurance certificates and explanation of benefits statements will by their very nature disclose certain personal data;
- investigate fraud, misconduct, unlawful action, or omission;
- comply with applicable laws when administering and managing your relationship with us; and/or
- send you marketing, advertising, or promotional information about our products and services (unless you have specifically opted-out of such communications).
To whom do we disclose personal data?
The third parties to whom your personal data may be disclosed will depend on the purposes for which that personal data is used. Due to the global nature of our business, we may disclose and transfer personal data to the following parties, wherever they are sited:
- Participating insurers
- Your insurance intermediary and appointed representatives
- External third-party service providers we have engaged to help manage your policy and provide necessary services, including healthcare providers, claim administrators, travel & assistance providers, call center service providers, claim investigators, banks, credit card companies, translators, communication and IT providers, and similar third-party vendors and outsourced service providers
- External third-party service providers we have engaged to provide such services as telemarketing (unless you opted out), document and records management, printing, courier, mail distribution, training, disaster recovery, and business continuity
- Professional advisors, including but not limited to accountants, actuaries, auditors, and legal advisors
- Governmental authorities and law enforcement agencies/regulators, including the Police, Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau, Singapore Customs, Monetary Authority of Singapore, Central Provident Fund Board, Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore, Land Transport Authority, Ministry of Manpower and Ministry of Health
- Authorized Parties involved in any court action, tribunal, arbitrator or dispute resolution center, such as the Financial Industry Disputes Resolution Centre of Singapore
- Other third parties, including credit bureaus, credit reporting agencies, or other people involved in an incident that is the subject of a claim
Personal data of other individuals
How is personal data secured?
We take all reasonable, practicable steps to ensure your personal data, whether held on paper or in electronic form, is treated with the utmost confidentiality and with appropriate levels of security, to guard against unauthorized access, in accordance with the Data Privacy and Protection regulations that might apply in your Country of Residence. We retain personal data only for as long as necessary to fulfill the original purpose for which such data was collected or to satisfy any legal requirements.
We will correspond with you by way of the internet, email, or other electronic applications. Because of the inherent risk associated with the electronic transmission of information, we cannot guarantee the security and integrity of that communication. While we take all appropriate steps to minimize that risk, we cannot be held responsible for any unauthorized use of personal data by third parties, when it’s caused by factors beyond our control.
When personal data is provided to a third-party service provider, we will ensure the accuracy and completeness of the data being provided, and ensure they also use appropriate measures to protect the confidentiality and security of the data. While we take reasonable efforts to ensure personal data is accurate and complete, you need to update us of any changes to the data you initially provided us. We won’t be held responsible for relying on inaccurate or incomplete personal data if you’ve failed to do so.
Accessing and correcting your personal data
You have the right to request a copy of any information we hold on you, and to seek correction of any incorrect information held.
Where reasonably possible, we will correct the information held in our files or on our systems, and within a reasonable time of such a request being made. Certain personal data may be exempt from access and correction in accordance with local privacy and data protection laws. We may need you to provide us identification before we can accept a request, and we may at times need to charge a small administration fee to handle your request.
To request access or to correct personal data held by us, please refer to the “Who to contact about your Personal Data” section below.
You may withdraw your consent for the purpose(s) of collection, use, and/or disclosure of the personal data we hold about you. Such requests must be provided to us in writing. Where possible, we will process such a request within a reasonable time.
Please note that some personal data may be exempt from consent withdrawals in accordance with local privacy and data protection laws. The withdrawal of certain consents may also result in our inability to continue providing you certain products or services.
To withdraw consent, please refer to the “Who to contact about your Personal Data” section below.
Third-Party Sites, Services or Applications
There is certain information, which we may collect, mostly automatically, through our website or mobile applications that does not reveal your specific identity. Examples are:
- demographic information
- browser and electronic device information
- usage data
- information collected through cookies
When you visit our website or mobile applications, we may store certain information on your devices in a file known as cookies. Cookies are text-only files stored directly on the devices you are using to allow us to recognize you each time you visit our website or mobile applications. This will enable us to provide you with, amongst other things, a more enjoyable and customized service when you visit our website, and a better understanding of your preferences in respect of our website or mobile applications.
Most internet browsers, for example Internet Explorer, will allow you to block and erase cookies. However, if you do not accept these cookies, certain parts of our website may not operate correctly and you may experience some inconvenience in your usage of our website or mobile applications.
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
Who to contact about your Personal Data
For customers covered by our Singapore issued plans, you may contact our Singapore Data Protection Officer at Safe Meridian Pte. Ltd., Data Protection Officer, 3 Church Street, #12-02 Samsung Hub, Singapore 049483 or by email to email@example.com.